Nuffnang

31 May 2013

Priority Seat Or Not?

Ok, so it was in the news... all the ugly sides of our local train commuters who refused to give up their corner seats to the needy.

The recent one showed the middle aged man spat 3 times at an elderly man. What is wrong with these people ? Need to spit or not?

And it began with this young soldier who gave up his seat (which is not the priority seat , but the one next to it) to the old man. The old man thanked him but rejected it and insisted on the priority seat which the middle aged man was on. And that sparked the heated argument... The old man did sit on the seat that the soldier offered eventually, but things got worse from there. Vulgarities, etc.

So, what's the point of priority seat? And where is the point in it? All commuters have the right to sit where they want, and these signs are useless when people do not pay attention to it. Some replies from forums even said "how about putting a fine if they don't give up their seat?" "then this will definitely be a 'fine' city"

Haha.

You think people will care meh?

I am a witness of seeing well abled adults who just glue their backside to the corner seats, and do not give up their seats to the needy. I had been pregnant before and now I'm carrying a toddler. These people just sleep away, or use their phone... they do not bother with who needs their seat. And you know what's the funny thing? There are people who are not seated on the priority seats giving up their seats for others! This is what I mean by, do we still need the priority signs? I am grateful for these commuters. And the weird thing is, the ones who give up their seats also need a seat of their own. They are the elderly. Ah Gong Ah Ma-s giving up their seat for me when I'm carrying my little one. All these other teenagers and abled adults just stare and see who can give up their seats. Totally ashamed of them.

Yes, I know we can ask nicely if they can give up their seats for us. I agree.

But the thing is that... this shows that our country, is not a gracious one. Commuters just do the staring game. I wait.. see who can give up their seat. I'm not going to let go of my seat.  

Maybe it's the same for the other parts of the world. And I wonder if they have priority seat signs as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment